Thursday, September 8, 2011

Time for some accountability

I am starting this blog for a couple reasons....
1. I think posting something every day (that other people might actually read) will give me more accountability in taking care of my diabetes daily. As any diabetic knows it is a constant struggle to deal with diabetes every day, and I'm not what you would call a "good" diabetic. Well I want to change that. I want to become more healthy, lose some weight, and improve my A1C. This will be my documented attempt to do that.
2. Maybe other diabetics can benefit and learn from my experience. It would be nice to start a dialog with other diabetics and form an online support network.
3. I've started a facebook group and ADA walk team Insulin Junkies and I would like to do more with it. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it, but I feel like working on this blog will help my creative juices start flowing.
You can check out the group here http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=702305470#!/groups/InsulinJunkies/

Stats
I have had type 1 diabetes since I was 5, so going on 24 years now. I have worn an Insulin pump for the past 15 years. My older sister also has diabetes and recently my mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I have been in the hospital (a Mexican hospital) for diabetic ketoacidosis and have had to have diabetic retinopathy surgery. And I am only 29 years old. I currently do not have any children, but would like to be healthy enough to have one (or two) in the next few years. I have been around diabetes my whole life; my sister was diagnosed with diabetes the year I was born. Also, I am afraid of needles. I still freak out every time I have to have blood drawn.
I wont tell you my weight, but I will tell you that I am overweight. My BMI is 31.6. And that actually doesn't make me overweight, that makes me obese. You can check your own BMI here: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/  
Being overweight (or obese) is bad for any one's health, but its extremely dangerous as a diabetic.
In this blog I would like to post health information that will hopefully inspire me and any one who reads this to get healthy.

Today
So far today I woke up and had coffee (with fat free cream). I didn't take my blood before I drank the coffee, and I should have...something to work on in the future. I just took my blood and it was 306...WAY too high. It's so high because I drank the coffee with cream without taking a shot for it. Another thing to work on in the future.
Today I plan on cleaning the house (we are having a party here tomorrow), I plan on exercising while watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I might spend some time with my mom in the evening. Oh and duh...I will be testing my blood and eating healthy throughout the day as well.
WISH ME LUCK.

No comments:

Post a Comment