Monday, July 16, 2012

Blood Test Results-A1C

I recently had my blood work done. FYI I am a huge wimp. I am a diabetic who is afraid of needles. I cannot watch TV shows or movies with too much blood and guts. I could never have been a medical doctor or a crime scene investigator.

So when I sit down to have my blood drawn the first thing I always say is, "I'm a big wimp, don't let this hurt."

Well last week when I went to get my blood work done, this is what the technician said in response, "Hi my name is John and I am an intern."

"What!"
I was very nice about it, but I basically said, "NOPE" you aren't going to be poking me today. They gave me to the pro and thank God they did because as it was he was having a difficult time finding my vein and had to take blood from my hand!



Anyways after that traumatic experience my blood results are in...and they aren't good. My A1C is high and my cholesterol is high. On the plus side I do not have Celiac Disease (although that means I have no idea why I am having stomach issues).

My doctor wants me back in SIX WEEKS to test my blood again. The A1C is usually done every 3 months...so she means business.

I am going to share my A1C with you. I think this is a very personal number for diabetics because if the number is bad (as mine is) I believe a diabetic feels it is a reflection of them as a person. Much like overweight people don't like to share their weight (not going to do that one today!) But I am sharing it because I know I'm not the only person with a bad A1C and I want other people to know they aren't alone in this. I'm also sharing this number with you because I want to try really hard over the next six weeks to improve that number.

A1C as of today: 9.7

How am I going to improve that number?
Testing my blood regularly
Eating well and taking the proper amount of Insulin for what I eat
Doing my best to exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.



Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment