Friday, July 20, 2012

Don't stress

I am reminded yet again how stress and negative feelings can effect my blood sugar. Just got into a bit of a fight with the husband and now my blood is 399. NOT GOOD.



After eight years of marriage I can't seem to get it through my head to not
--have a serious conversation with him at 1am
--take serious things he's said after he's been drinking
--they are his angry words, I don't need to make them mine
--etc...


But what can you do when you are upset and frustrated? It's human nature to be emotional and stress out, the key is to realize you are upset and move from there. Take a moment to analyze why you are upset. Is it something you can take care of right this second? (If its passed midnight probably not). Most of the things we get upset about are completely out of our control.
In this case I was getting upset about what my husband was saying to me. His words and actions were not okay, but a discussion about them at 1am is not going to be productive. I should have let it go until the morning. As with most things, you are going to be able to better resolve your issue once the sun has risen. So if you need to, literally take a note of whats upsetting you and come back to it later.

That's all fine and dandy, but what if you are already extremely upset (you tried to solve the problem at 1am) and your blood is high?
--Of course take insuln (or other diabetic meds)
--If you can, go for a walk. Its 1am here, so I am going to pass on that one. If I wasn't so tired though, I could drive down to the 24 hour gym and get on a treadmill.
--Do some calming breathing exercises. Calm breathing exercises seriously help and it will probably improve your blood sugar too.
--Turn on a funny movie or TV show. Not only will it make you laugh but it will distract you from whats upsetting you.
--Do something else (like blog).
--Even better, do something productive (like the laundry).
--Do something creative, like paint a picture. This is supposed to be very therapeutic.
--Take a bath
--Drink a hot tea (NO sugar or cream though...you know that will just make your blood higher)

No matter what you decide to do, DON'T dwell on what is making you upset. I am sure you are 110% entitled to your angry feelings, but they will only hurt you. Stress will for sure raise your blood sugar.




Time to practice what I preach. Think I'll turn on an episode of How I Met Your Mother.
(I tried to find a picture of Barney and Robin fighting to stick here...sadly I could not find one)

No comments:

Post a Comment